Monday, October 8, 2012

Buckeye in the Bay State

Greetings, Travelers!

A little bit of background:

I was born in Akron, Ohio, the second (and, ahem, favorite -- sorry, Mike!) son of a schoolteacher and a secret agent (okay, not really, but it's cool to pretend). After high school, which was as boring and typical as you'd imagine, I floated through life, going from job to job, and school to school, and even had a short stint in the United States Navy. Being of the Thoreau ilk -- meaning I traveled to the beat of a different drummer -- that didn't last long and I retreated to my parents' house in Hartville, OH, and spent my days reading on the back porch and smoking entirely too many cigarettes.

Then I met Lisa. Hoo boy. Here I was, raised a conservative Christian, interested in the red-haired, godless, glassy-eyed Clintonista that was Lisa. Long story short, we fell in love, both became a little more moderate in our political beliefs, and now we find ourselves married and living in Hadley, MA, my wife's hometown.  I love it here, and not just because of the pretty fall colors, or the myriad bookstores that also sell coffee (and BEER!), but because it makes my wife happy to be home (I sort of promised her aunt the first time I met her that I'd bring her niece home -- I did, and fulfilled my nephew-in-lawly obligations).

I've been unemployed since July. Trying to find a job in Ohio sucked, as I put out a million applications and never heard boo from any of them. We've been in MA for less than a week and a half and I just got back from my second job interview in as many days. Hoping I get the job at Apple, because it seems like a place I'd enjoy working (and the rumored employee discount doesn't hurt either -- what up, iMac?!). The other job is at Sears Portrait Studio, and is only part-time seasonal, but that's better than no job. It's also a little farther away than we want to be, but I will say it's a pretty drive on the backroads of New England to get there.

Until next time, True Believers!

No comments:

Post a Comment